Friday, July 22, 2011

THOUGHT I SHOULD TELL YOU







This has been on my mind for a while....I've no idea how many people read this blog, but, as so much of it has been about my history, I felt it only fair to let you know about this.


From September of 1997 to August of 2006, I was locked up, mainly at Grafton Correctional, near Lorain. I was not one who was wrongly convicted-I was guilty of the crime, and it was a serious one; I nearly killed a young woman. As it was, I left her paralyzed for life.


Know this, however....it was not my intent to harm her, or anyone else needlessly. I carried a weapon, for self-defense (I worked in downtown Cleveland, late), and carried a blade in case I was attacked on the street.


At the time, I was taking antidepressants, as part of a study testing drugs for their antidepressant qualities....depression runs in my family, and I had suffered from it myself. In addition, I'd had side effect problems with such drugs, and had joined the study in hopes of finding one I could use safely.


To make a long story short, while under the influence of such medications, I stabbed an eighteen -year old prostitute on the West Side of Cleveland; I barely remember the event, or have any understanding as to why I did this-she was a stranger to me, and I don't even recall being angry with her.


I called 911, and pled guilty to a charge of Attempted Murder-my hand, on my weapon, my responsibility.


I imagine some of you might stop reading this, knowing this now....after all, I was a person who committed a terrible crime.


So be it. I don't ask your forgiveness....I didn't stab YOU.

I did something wrong, paid for it, and now live my life just as everyone else, one breath, one day at a time.


FTR, I don't wallow in guilt over it, but I can never forget that I did it, and cannot change it-

indeed, what kind of man would I be if I COULD forget?


Just thought you should know....see ya soon, Lord willin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment