Friday, September 3, 2010

SCHOOL




I miss school.
True, by high school, some of the fun of it had worn off, but I miss that anticipation of a new year, new class, teacher, new students, sometimes.
Until the fifth grade, I went to school with the same kids...then we moved, and I spent a year getting used not only to new kids, but a new grade school-4-X, you ate lunch at the school, rather than going home for lunch, as before. Near the end of sixth grade, we moved back to the original area, and when I started Junior High in the fall, it was with kids from both grade schools I'd attended.
Hawthorne was an old school, and a lot of the teachers had been there when my mother had been a student. Still, just the novelty of going to different rooms with different teachers for each subject made it interesting.
To be honest, I wasn't a very good student then... I'd sorta dropped out of participation in society, not a smart choice, but it was the one I made. I still learned, and enjoyed learning- I just didn't do homework.
It's almost expected to say that kids today have it easier in school than we did, but I disagree. We didn't have to face drugs, people with guns, and the thousand and one factions that attempt to lay claim to the souls of children today, not to mention apathetic teachers and agenda-driven school boards.
If I had the chance to go back today, and do it over....I wouldn't.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you about missing the fresh start that the beginning of each school year brought. I really enjoyed school and to this day, I still think of September as being sort of the beginning of the year and June as the finish line to get to.

    The memories of those Dick & Jane books cracked me up. Even as a kid, I looked at the illustrations of the neighborhood that Dick and Jane lived in and thought, "Gee, that doesn't look very much like where I live!"

    ReplyDelete