Thursday, September 30, 2010

THINGS I BELIEVED AS A CHILD




When I was a kid, I never believed in Santa Claus, because we went Christmas shopping with my mother; besides, young scientist that I was, I knew no man that fat would fit down our chimney.
However, there WERE a few really strange things I did believe....
Most people stir coffee, tea, etc. clockwise...so, I believed that if you stirred it anti-clockwise, it would unmix.
I heard someone use the phrase, "skeleton in the closet" when I was about six, so I became convinced that there was one in our upstairs hall closet, waiting to jump out and grab me as I walked down the hall to bed.
I also believed in the Toilet Monster, a creature that lived in the pipes, and was awakened by the sound of the toilet flushing at night, and would try to get you if you weren't fast enough.
I believed that the stockboys who worked at the supermarket had the additional task of going out and shooting the Thanksgiving turkeys sold in the store.
I believed that thunder was angels bowling....thanks, Mom; storms weren't as scary.
I believed that the phone ringing at night was dead people trying to call you...thanks a lot, Rod Serling, and my cousin, Todd.
I thought mechanical fortune tellers were alive; they still give me the lightweight creeps.
The Dreamland Theater had its restrooms in the basement, and to get to the men's room, you had to pass these three red steel doors, with padlocks on them; I was positive that that's where the monsters were kept between pictures. Once, as I was coming back from the restroom, I noticed that the farthest away door was unlocked...as I walked (carefully) past it, it began to open, and I ran like a missile up the stairs.
I stopped believing in such silly things as an adult...although I still cringe a bit if a phone rings at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment